Josiah Venture

Josiah Venture

Monday, October 19, 2015

Monday Musing - The Gathering Place

This blog is written in honor of a beloved, affectionate, and loyal woman who was kept in God's grace until the very end. Grandma, we love you.

My Beloved Grandma, 

I'm reflecting over the past couple of days, and joy and sadness of your passing. What a legacy you have written in the lives of your children, grandchildren and great grandchildren - all of whom were so incredibly dear to your heart. We all knew and felt your love for us. 

Your house was where family would come together. From down the street, across the state and across the country, we gathered. It is where we opened presents at Christmas, stuff ourselves with turkey on Thanksgiving and met together for no particular reason other than wanting to be together. Your home and wherever you went was our family's gathering place. 

My childhood is speckled with fond memories with my cousins around the gathering place. Here are some, just to name a few:

- learning new card games together
- watching old movies at night
- your chirping bird in the kitchen
- the basement full of toys
- parties at the park for everyone's birthday
- cleaning the Ravenna Bank together
- your baked goods (yummmm)
- white elephant gifts and soup each Christmas
- having church together in your home
- your cards you hand wrote and sent mail
- your bed full of stuffed animals

You were so affectionate, kind and generous towards me, always. The sparkle in your eyes when our family would visit and your generous smile are the two things I will treasure. Thank you for always requesting hugs. My life was forever changed because you were in it and my life is different now that you are with the Lord. I rejoice for you! I'll never forget the day you told me Jesus is your best friend and you could not imagine a day without Him. The reason the gathering place was so wonderful, was because you were there. I miss you and look forward to the day we can sing psalms together again.

Your Beloved Granddaughter,
Britney Sue Hagsten

“Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of his saints.”
Psalm 116:15 ESV

2 comments:

  1. Very well said Britney! Mom was a very loving person indeed. She had no favorites, loving us all equally and abundantly. Her heart was full of love for each and every one of us, from the oldest child to the youngest great-grandchild. I miss her very much, even though it's only been a few days. I appreciate that she was such a Christian woman and taught us what it was to love Jesus. She would always plan a devotion and special prayer when we all got together. We squeezed a lot of family into that little apartment for the holidays and special events, but it worked.
    Your Loving Daughter, Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for sharing Aunt Pat! I love you! Your heart is so big.

      Delete