Josiah Venture

Josiah Venture

Thursday, November 27, 2014

The Heart of Thanksgiving

Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. (1 Thessalonians 5:16-18)

The New Testament is full of letters written by a man chosen by God named Paul. He wrote these letters to encourage Jesus's church. It was recently brought to my attention that Paul ALWAYS wrote a prayer for these churches while he NEVER asked for a change in their circumstances. Paul actually says to give thanks in these circumstances instead of changing them. There is something different that happens in us when we thank God in the midst of trials and triumph. We recognize His goodness, comfort and sovereignty.

The past few weeks since our vision trip to Europe have been incredibly difficult. Tears have been poured out before God asking Him for wisdom, direction and a plan for our family and what we are to do with the needs that have been presented before us. The deep sense of change has hit my heart like a ton of bricks--knowing that this calling is not easy, nor is it right to walk away from it because of the difficulty. I know that since the moment Christ took hold of me and I realized the truth of the Gospel, I have yearned for this truth to be shared with all people... all people of all nations!




Three years ago, Matt and I went on the Key West Bike Ride. We rode 300 miles to raise funds and pray for the youth and youth workers of Bulgaria. We prayed that God would send people to that region as missionaries. That summer I served in Bulgaria for 2 months... here exert from a blog I wrote upon return--

This summer we climbed mountains… physically and spiritually. This may sound cliché… but God used these mountains to give me a glimpse of what it looks like to lay your life out for your friends. My sweat, blood and tears were left there on that mountain. In the same way my prayers, heart and life were poured out for our team and for the young people of Bulgaria, all in hope that one seed would take root in good soil. I would not say that I had ONE BIG choice this summer, but rather many small choices… to trust in God for strength when I had nothing left to give. I know that we did not labor in vain in the darkness of a country that has hardened its heart toward God, for I see His love in the eyes of each person He has made in His own image.

The people I met in Bulgaria had become my friends and the difficulties they faced were now ones that would not leave my mind. The difficulty of climbing the mountain was a part of the circumstance that God used for His glory to know His hope in the midst of these circumstances!



God was also opening our eyes to the purpose of global youth ministry. Here is a bit from the blog Matt wrote after we road in the Key West Bike Ride in 2013 for the youth of Zambia. (Alfa is a child that Matt sponsors through Compassion International.)

When I agreed in 2012 to ride my bike 300 miles it seemed like a onetime adventure. But somewhere along the way I caught the vision that there’s this whole great big world out there where people like Alfa have real problems like hunger, lack of clean water, and—worst of all—no idea who Jesus is. Not “problems” like gum or a sore backside from riding a bike for six hours. So I got over myself and rode again. I plan to in 2014 also. Never would I have guessed one of the lives changed through the KWBR would be my own. It happened as a bunch of people who love Jesus got together and decided to do something about the brokenness in the world. Some might call it social gospel or mobilization. I think Jesus calls it his church.


This year, instead of cycling, Matt and I ran to Key West for the youth of Thailand and got married the next day. We knew that God brought us together for the purpose of His kingdom work together.

I look back at the events that have lead us to this point in our lives, and this decision... God has been working on our hearts for years, and He has prepared us for such a time as this. So we embrace our circumstances and give thanks in them... for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for us!

All this is to give you a glimpse of the transformation work of Jesus through small choices... through bold prayers. We believe that we are to be a part of answering the prayers that we prayed three years ago, to mobilize more youth workers to Bulgaria.

We are excited to be a part of the church there, and as Matt said in his blog, "[life change] happened as a bunch of people who love Jesus got together and decided to do something about the brokenness in the world. Some might call it a social gospel or mobilization. I think Jesus calls it his church."

You are the church and you are making an impact on the lives of youth in Bulgaria alongside us. You are a part of that bunch of people that got together to do something about the brokenness in the world. :) Your prayers and support is God's hand of provision on our lives.

If the Lord wills, Matt and I hope to visit you, that you might also share in the joy of what the Holy Spirit is doing. And we love and miss our friends! Here is our tentative schedule:

November- December: Britney will continue to work at the Center for Global Outreach in Florida training leaders and training people to take over her role as Student Mobilization Coordinator
End of December: Lily is born
January- February: Remain Florida to transition to life as parents and support raise
March-May: Support raise and visit friends and family in Minnesota
June- August: Support raise and visit friends and family in Nebraska


*we will tentatively plan to be sent to the church in Bulgaria late 2015 or early 2016

Enjoy your holiday turkey and the fellowship of great family and friends. I personally will be missing my Aunt Jean's stuffing but I know I can have a little taste of home through making my great grandma's sugar cookies. May Christ be the center of your hearts through faith, that you may continue to grasp the height and depth of His love for you... in every circumstance!

Love,
Matt, Britney Sue, 
and Baby Lily

No comments:

Post a Comment